Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Alane and Fused Glass



A Dog has one aim in life...to bestow his heart. J.R. Ackerley

All day, the rain has fallen on our village.

Winchester, the squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, the other cats and I have sought refuge from the wetness. For my refuge, I am lying down in studio 24 on the cool brick flooring, occasionally lifting my head to an occasional passing customer, the most physical exertion for the day.

I can hear the birds starting to chirp as the rain has subsided....a celebration for the rain's cessation.

I am watching Alane gluing magnets to the back of her colorful fused glass refrigerator magnets. The odor of the glue is wafting across my nose. ''Have you decide to wake up Bella?'' The thumping of my tail adds to the singing of the birds....I get up, shake my Bella shake, ahhh, from my head to the tip of my tail....and walk over to Alane.

In her studio, you can see fused glass of all kinds...refrigerator magnets, night lights, pendants, earrings, barrettes, purse hangers, cabinet door knobs and more. Alane creates usable art. The small pieces of vibrant, colorful glass, are laid atop each other, then placed in a kiln at a high temperature, melting the glass, creating an unique and colorful piece of fused glass artwork.
For some art pieces, Alane uses the shards of glass left behind by the glass blowers, recycling them into beautiful fused glass jewelry.
She teaches fused glass classes by appointment.

''Are you getting ready for Halloween? Maybe I'll make a pumpkin pendant to hang from your collar....would you like that Bella?'' I wagged my tail to let her know it was a fine idea, but I really had hoped for a piece of that cold pizza sitting on her work table. If I sat down, pretty-like, and stared at the remaining piece, just maybe.....''Bella, where are my manners? Would you like this pizza?'' I stood up, wagged my tail, gave her my big Bella smile, and nudged her hand.....ummm, pepperoni pizza with anchovies!....Oh, and remember, Oct. 30th 1PM is our Halloween Doggy Costume Contest! Come and join us! Woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment