Monday, July 5, 2010

felted purses, polymer clay faces & sylvia


The day after July the Fourth is a busy day. It's a 3 day weekend, with Monday being the last of it. Ramon's silver jewelry, Barbara's jewelry and paintings, Scott's paintings, and many more patio artist were set out, ready to capture the audience as they entered into our beautiful village...not much sun, and a cool breeze ruffled my soft fur...time to get up.
Gazing down the main patio, I saw Sylvia, just a red dot, slowly walking toward Studio 37. I got up, did my Bella stretch, ohhh! ahhh! feels so good! and shook my fur all the way down to the tip of my tail...every fur in it's proper place. I am perfection.
As I trotted toward Sylvia, her red dot began to take shape...at 82 and a half years old, (she always reminds you of the 'half') she holds herself high, for such a petite lady...
'Bella, is that you? Come on in. Are you going to keep me company today?' Sylvia still has her accent from years past. I wagged my tail as Sylvia patted my head.
It's a little studio, full of oil paintings, silk wearable art, and Sylvia's polymer clay faces and felted purses. Settling down for the course of the day, I watched Sylvia pull out skeins of yarns, all vibrantly colored. The soft piles of yarn quickly become uniquely created purses. She machine washes them to break down the fibers to felt, and adorns her felted purses into color whimsical works of art...quite similar to the colorful polymer clay faces, all uniquely characterized, intricate, playful and full of whimsey, created into adornments for clothing.
I walked up and put my head on Sylvia's lap.
'Would you like me to tell you a story?' she said gazing into my eyes.

I snuggled my nose up to her hand, encouraging her to tell me one of her South Africa stories...where Sylvia immigrated, stories long ago....and as she began to spin her story, I heard the 'ding' of the microwave and I wondered which I would enjoy more...warmed honey buns, or Sylvia's wonderful reminiscence.




NOTE: IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED

No comments:

Post a Comment