Monday, August 30, 2010

Birds of a Feather...get painted by Rosa


Spanish Village is indeed a village, studios nestled beside each other, neighbor next to neighbor, continuation of our daily lives shared with smiles and sometimes tears....best described, it is an extended family away from home, and sometimes, when you're lucky you get to bring your whole family to the village.....
''Here Bella!'' ''Here Bella!''
Did someone just call me? I scanned the patio searching for who was calling me.
Off towards the entrance of the village I could see 4 people becoming larger and more distinct as they walked towards me....it was Kathi, daughters Rosa and Lily, and son Jose. I trotted down to say hi to my friends. I just love to smell the shoes of this family...running a sheep farm makes shoes very very interesting for me.
''Come on in Bella''.
I entered Studio 8 with eagerness. Kathi was putting away the day's lunch (tuna salad, sniff sniff, cheese wedge, and what is that smell? Oh, yes, roast beef!) Guess I know where I'll spend the day....Jose grabbed his computer to go discuss the social media program with Alane. Lily took off with her mandolin slung across her back to Sylvia's creative writing class, and Kathi went to Frank's to discuss the cleaning of Gallery 21 and set up her yarn display in front of the studio.

So, that left me with Rosa who was busily dusting her framed painted feathers. She raises rare breeds of chickens and parrots on the family sheep farm. When the feathers molt, she uses the feathers as canvas for her miniature acrylic paintings. Each one is carefully and delicately painted. An iris is adorned on a small white cockatoo feather, mushrooms on a silver laced wyandotte feather, lovebirds on black australorp feathers with macaw accent feathers, and so much more.... all paintings are matted, some with mulberry paper. Key chains and note cards embellished by delicate, little, feathers create a very different medium, all unique, all interesting, all from Rosa's collection of rare breed birds.
Rosa smiled, went to her bag and pulled out a tennis ball. ''Want to play ball?''
''BALL??!!##!!'' Why don't mind if I do....I ran up to the ball, sniffed it, and gave a big bark!

A family that plays together, stays together.

No comments:

Post a Comment